Thursday 16 September 2010

Burberry Makeup Haul & FOTD


Last week I checked out the Burberry counter in Harrods for the first time and picked up a few bits. It really is worth seeing this in store as I wasn't sure what to expect but was surprised at how everything swatched in comparison to how it looked in the pan/tube. I bought the Sheer Eyeshadow in No.7 Taupe Brown (£22), Lip Cover in No.5 Heather Rose (£22), and the Eye Definer in No.4 Midnight Blue (£15).

Sheer Eyeshadow in No.7 Taupe Brown:



This is a beautiful dark taupe matt shade which almost looks grey but you can make out a hint of brown in the shade. The texture is very soft and smooth and excellently pigmented (which is a surprise since it is named 'Sheer Eyeshadow'). Along with my Rouge Bunny Rouge shadows, these are up there in the quality stakes. Even though this is matt, it doesn't look chalky at all and has a great depth to it. I can't convey how much I love this as I don't own anything like it. Sometimes with taupey or brown shades they blend too much into the natural colouring of my eyelids (as my eye area is darker then the rest of my face), but I am pleased to say that this does show up. Overall a great eyeshadow and I can definitely see this becoming a staple of mine as it looks softer then black for creating smoky looks.

Eye Definer in No.4 Midnight Blue

A sharpener is supplied in the box

This is a deep, dark blue shade with a slight metallic sheen which stops it looking flat and again like the eyeshadow has a good level of pigmentation.
It applies quite well, but doesn't have as much glide as something like Urban Decay's 24/7 liners although it is still slightly creamy and give quite an intense colour. It lasted well throughout the day without migrating anywhere else on the eye.


Lip Cover in No.5 Heather Rose:


The lipsticks, along with the eyeshadows are probably my favourite items from the range. There are a lot of lovely natural shades (which are right up my street), along with a few more brighter ones that it was hard to pick just one.  In the end I went for Heather Rose as I don't think I have anything similar to this. The shade is a peachy/pinky neutral, great for pairing with more dramatic eyes. The Lip Cover lipsticks are light, silky and have a slight glossy sheen to them so the colour doesn't look flat but still manages to give a good level of colour to the lips. The formula feels quite moisturising as well so even when it wore off, my lips didn't feel dry.

swatches:
L-R eye definer, taupe brown e/s, Heather Rose. Natural light
flash

I was also given a small folded card which has some little samples of a few other shades of the Lip Cover and also 2 shades of the Sheer Fluid Foundation.  I have been using the sample of the foundation in Trench No.7 for the past 4 days (I was surprised how long this little sachet lasts) which is a good match for my skin tone as it is slightly more yellow based and doesn't have any ashy undertones. It is quite a creamy liquid that blends well into the skin and gives a natural finish. I think that it does seem to slightly diffuse the look of pores and fines lines so giving a slightly more plumper appearance. The coverage is sheer-medium, so I did use a little concealer to cover blemishes but overall it does a good job of evening the skin and I was surprised with this as I was expecting it to be a lot sheerer. Lasts well throughout the day, but I do use some translucent powder to set it as I have an oily t-zone. So far I am rather liking this foundation, and may consider buying the full size (once I get through my drawer full of other foundations).

I've done a simple look with the items:


My face is a bit darker then my neck and I haven't blended any foundation down!
the pic has washed the colour out slightly

What I've used:
Burberry Sheer Fluid Foundation Trench No.7
Undereye Concealer - Ellis Faas Concealer No.5
Burberry Taupe Brown eyeshadow on lid, blended into crease and also applied to lower lash line
Burberry Eye Definer Midnight Blue on upper lash line
Mascara - NYC Sky High Mascara in Carbon
Powder - MUFE HD
Blush - a very light dusting of NARS Douceur blush
Burberry Lip Cover Heather Rose (for some reason it looks like I've applied lipliner but I haven't used any).

I also have my eye on the Light Glow Blush in Russet Blush No.1 which is a rosy brown type of shade. I had this applied on counter and it lasted well as it was still visible when I got home. The SA said as well as the lipsticks, that the mascara is a bestseller as well (in fact a customer next to me bought four) which has piqued my interest so I might try this next.

Overall I am really impressed with the range, the quality is excellent and I can see myself become a bit obsessed with the eyeshadows and lipsticks, although at £22 a pop, I will get a few more bits gradually rather then all at once.

1 comment:

  1. Great choices, looks lovely on you. I am tempted by the mascara as well.

    ReplyDelete